Lara's "Cupboard" Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm calling it my "Cupboard" cookies, because I was using a recipe from the Joy of Cooking, but didn't have all the ingredients and substituted them for whatever I had in the pantry. I used margarine instead of butter, whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour, and added finely chopped walnuts that I had leftover from the holidays. Right out of the oven, they were simply delectable of course, having a really great nutty flavor and texture from the whole wheat flour. And today, they are still soft on the inside and a 
big hit with the husband!  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cream: 1/2 cup margarine Add gradually and beat until creamy: 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar Beat in: 1 egg 1/2 tsp vanilla Sift and Stir in: 1 cup and 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp baking soda Stir in: 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (I did mine in the food processor) 1/2 cup chocolate chips Drop batter from a tablespoon, well apart on greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (my oven runs hot, so I cooked them for about 9). If they look slightly underdone, that's how they are supposed to look, so they will be chewy on the inside when they are cooled down. Makes about 14 large cookies.



Comments

veo_ said…
Whole Wheat flour sounds like a good addition to lots of cookies.. hrmm.. I'm thinking whole wheat / butterscotch chips!

Popular Posts