Sunday, October 4, 2009
Triple Peanut Butter Cupcakes!Print this post
These turned out really well, incredibly moist, and if you love peanut butter like I do, you'll be in heaven! I used the Peanut Butter Cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, as well as their Peanut Buttercream frosting. Enjoy!
3/4 cup soy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup natural chunky peanut butter (make sure there are no milk products in it)
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (buy the real stuff if you can!)
2 teaspoons ground flaxseed (I couldn't find ground, so I bought whole and ground them myself in a coffee grinder that I use just for spices)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Mix soy milk with vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside to curdle.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the peanut butter, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla, and ground flaxseeds until well combined. Add the soy milk mixture and mix until incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a separate bowl and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
5. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 23-26 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack.
Ingredients for Peanut Buttercream frosting:
*DO NOT FROST YOUR CUPCAKES UNTIL THEY'RE COMPLETELY COOLED. I know you'll be tempted.
1/4 cup margarine, softened (some margarine has hidden dairy products, so if you want them vegan, check the label! You can also read this to learn more about finding the right kind)
2 tablespoons shortening (Earth Balance sticks are the best for this)
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon barley malt syrup or molasses, optional (I used molasses)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted (what we call Icing Sugar)
1 to 2 tablespoons rice or soy milk, or soy creamer
1. With electric hand-held mixer or Kitchen Aid mixer with a beater, cream together margarine and shortening at medium speed till smooth. Add peanut butter, barley malt syrup/molasses, and vanilla, and beat until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in sugar; mixture will be very stiff. Dribble in rice/soy milk a little at a time, beating continuously till frosting is pale tan and very fluffy. Adjust the thickness of the frosting by adding rice milk or more confectioners' sugar in small increments if necessary. Frost or fill cooled cupcakes. I put whole peanuts on the top, but you can put anything you want really! I try to put the things that are in the cupcakes, on top of them when they're finished, to tie the ingredients together.