Lovely Naan Bread!

Thought I'd try something quite different than my usual dessert fare today. We're snowed in here in Seattle, so I was getting a little restless and in the mood to bake! I had remembered bookmarking a recipe off the BBC website for homemade Naan Bread, so I thought I would give it a shot.  It was surprisingly tasty! And I also had some chutney in the fridge, which was great to dip into. YUM!

homemade naan bread!

Note: I didn't have whole milk in the fridge so I had to use 1%, and I didn't have all the accouterments that you put onto it while grilling, but I did brush with melted butter and garlic at the end and ended up with a delicious warm midday snack! 

Naan bread

Ingredients

For the dough:

250g/9oz plain flour
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
110-130ml/3½-4½fl oz milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing

For the topping:

nigella seeds, poppy seeds or sesame seeds, or chopped garlic and
fresh coriander
1 tbsp butter, melted, to serve

Directions:

1. For the dough, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a
bowl. In another bowl, mix together the milk and oil.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid
mixture. Slowly mix together the dough by working from the centre
and incorporating the flour from the edges of the 'well', to make a
smooth, soft dough. Knead well for 8-10 minutes, adding a little flour
if the dough is too sticky.
3. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and
leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes. Form the dough into five
balls.
4. Preheat the grill to medium and place a heavy baking sheet on the
upper shelf of the grill to heat.
5. Roll the dough balls out quite thinly, ideally in a teardrop shape, but
really this is just aesthetic. Sprinkle over your chosen topping and
press into the surface of the dough. Place the naans onto the hot
baking sheet and grill for just 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Brush with butter and serve hot

Comments

Popular Posts