Like Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, these are vegan "Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes" from the world renowned book "Vegan Cupcakes Take over The World". They are probably the best red velvet cupcakes I've ever had, not to mention the moistest.
Click on photo to see more!
I recommend the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting over the Old Fashioned Velvet Icing they have in the cookbook. They actually suggest either, and from what I've read from other bakers, the Old Fashioned wasn't as good. Especially if you want to pipe the frosting.
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, Dutch processed or regular
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon chocolate extract
(Chocolate extract is worth the trouble to find, but if you can't, use 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin/cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
4. Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, and almond extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear. Do not over mix, otherwise your cupcakes will turn out gummy! Small lumps are okay.
5. Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds of the way full as these cupcakes will rise fairly high. I recommend using non-stick metal pans as opposed to those silicon pans, so the cupcakes will rise properly and not come out lopsided.
6. Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes until done. You can stick a toothpick into a cupcake to see if it's done. If you get tiny dry crumbs on it, it is ready! (I suggest eventually getting an oven thermometer so you know exactly how hot your oven is, because you don't want to over bake the cupcakes.)
Let sit on the counter for a few minutes in the pans and then transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool completely.
DO NOT ICE CUPCAKES UNTIL FULLY COOLED. I think we've all done that at least once, right? *wink
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup non hydrogenated margarine, softened (some aren't entirely vegan, so if that's a concern, make sure you check!)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (I use Tofutti, it's Better Than Cream Cheese!)
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (or as I used to say, Icing Sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a hand held mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Scrape down the sides in between too! Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla. Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
LASTLY! I used chopped pecans to sprinkle on top, giving it that classic Velvet Cupcake finishing touch.