Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweet Iron Waffles!

Print this post
Finally had a chance to try Sweet Iron Waffles on 3rd Avenue in downtown Seattle this past Sunday. I was meeting a dear old friend and got caught up in mouthfuls of delicious waffles and lovely conversation that I forgot to take a photo! So I am using this one I found on Flickr which does absolute justice in capturing how warm, fluffy, crispy, and mouth watering these babies are!

I had one of their specials, the Blueberry with Lemon Curd, on a plain waffle (tasted like a blueberry lemon muffin!), while my friends had 2 chocolate covered waffles; one with STRAWBERRY AND WHIPPED CREME, while the other had the BANANA BRÛLÉE. There is really nothing like the banana one, I must say.  Peering over at the next table I saw someone eating theirs with bacon, brie and basil and that looked amazing too.

They have their waffle making down to a science here, brûlée-ing the bananas quickly with a blow torch, and their mise en place ready to top the delicious cakes.  Also the batter appeared to be pre-measured and shaped into rounds so that all they had to do was throw them onto the waffle iron and not spend a bunch of time making a mess up front.

Downside:  The place is small, so be prepared to stand and eat if you have to. We were lucky enough to snag the last seats. I wish the place didn't look like a chain, because their waffles sure had that house-made feel to them. I also highly recommend getting an extra waffle to share with friends or for yourself, as they run a little small for my taste.

Next time you find yourself in the Seattle downtown core during breakfast hours, you need to try this place out!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

sounds like a wonderful spot for breakfast. I have an article coming soon on waffles. My husband loves making waffles every weekend. He would probably love to try out a place like this. Yum!

Lara said...

Oh awesome! I sure wish I had a waffle maker, but I know I wouldn't use it enough. Sounds like your hubby would though!

Thanks for checking out my blog!

Flag Counter