These are so moist, chocolaty, with the bright zing of orange zest, I could have eaten 10 of them, and apparently so could my co-workers!
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
¼ cup non hydrogenated margarine
¼ cup room temperature Tofutti
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
Cream together margarine and Tofutti until blended with hand mixer.
Add the icing sugar ¼ cup at a time, while beating with a hand mixer.
After it’s all blended, add the vanilla and orange zest until incorporated.